Elegant, simple, delicious! These beautiful cannoli cupcakes add the finishing touch to any celebration. These bite-sized cakes are sweet and decadent! It’s the perfect ratio of cake and cannoli topping that makes these cannoli cupcakes irresistible!
Growing up Italian, homemade cannoli was something of a staple, especially during holidays. I can remember my Nana and my great aunts (the ladies, as we called all 6 of them) sitting around the big kitchen table rolling out dough, placing it around tubes, and putting them in the deep fryer. Minutes later, laid out on paper towels were the perfect cannoli shells.
My mom was always in charge of making the filling. She grew up baking, so she had the knack of making the best filling. Creamy ricotta cheese with chopped up chocolate, piped into the most scrumptious shells! Gone within minutes, the ladies worked hard on filling more until everyone got their fill.
Some day, I will attempt to make those cannolis I grew up with but for now here is the recipe for my quicker and much easier cannoli cupcakes. Although both equally delicious in their own right, the filling or topping on this cupcake varies from tradition. However, I find it just as appealing to the pallet. Rich, creamy, smooth and delicious! The combination of mascarpone, cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, vanilla and powdered sugar makes this cupcake perfection!
Cannoli Cupcakes-Cupcake Ingredients
Sugar, eggs, oil, sour cream, baking soda, powder, salt, vanilla, flour.
In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. On low speed add the vanilla and the oil and beat until combined. On medium speed, add the sour cream and beat. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and beat until combined.
Line 2 mini-cupcake pans with paper liners. Fill only 1/2 way full! If you fill more than half way, then the cupcakes will have a large disproportionate top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Edges should barely be turning light brown. You can see the edges are just slightly browning, they are done!
Let cool completely and pipe with cannoli topping.
These mini-cannoli cupcakes are as delicious as they look! They are so good that you can just eat one, or two or three or four…
The perfect compliment to a delicious mini-cupcake!
Using a hand mixer, beat the softened cream cheese. Next, add mascarpone to the cream cheese and beat. Pour in pure vanilla extract and powdered sugar with 1/2 of the heavy whipping cream and beat. Add remaining whipping cream and beat until smooth. Topping should stick to the beaters.
In a piping bag using a large flower tip, pipe topping. Sprinkle with mini-chocolate chips.
Love cupcakes? Try my Classic Chocolate Cupcakes
- 2 Mini-cupcake pans
- Stand Mixer
- hand mixer
- Large Mixing Bowl
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line 2 mini-muffin pans with paper liners
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy
- On low speed, add the vanilla and vegetable oil and beat until combined
- On medium speed, add the sour cream and beat until combined
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and beat until smooth
- Fill the mini-cupcake liners 1/2 full-do not overfill
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, (edges slightly brown) or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Let cool completely
- Using a piping bag with the flower tip, pipe cannoli cream on top
- Sprinkle mini-chocolate chips on top
- hand mixer
- Large Mixing Bowl
- 8 oz Cream cheese, softened
- 8 oz Marscopone cheese
- 1 1/5 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup Powdered sugar
- 1 cup Heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese well
- Add mascarpone cheese and beat until combined
- Add pure vanilla extract
- Add half the powdered sugar and half the heavy whipping cream and beat well
- Add the other half of powdered sugan and heavy whipping cream and beat well until smooth
- For mini-cannoli cupcakes: using a piping bag with a large star tip add on topping in a circular motion. Sprinkle with mini-chocolate chips.